Monday, February 16, 2009

Loving the Jungle, the Ward and the People

Iquitos is freaking awesome. It is so green and my area is way cool. It’s mostly city and the people are way humble and awesome. I pictured the jungle to be jungle like walking down the street and seeing monkeys in the trees and snakes in the trees but it’s not like that, my area is city but it’s still way cool. The roads are cement and there are roads that are dirt. It rains every morning because we are in the rainy season, but it’s still hot. I wear my boots a lot because of the mud. We live in a little apartment that is part of a house of a member. We walk to our pension for breakfast and dinner like the last area but its closer. Iquitos is cleaner than in Lima. There is less dust and there aren’t that many dogs.

In one part of my area there are monkeys in a park chilling on leashes so I took a couple pictures of me playing with them, one is big, I have picture of one on my head. . In my area there is a big soccer stadium, so you guys can look on google earth and see what my area looks like. My ward is called Las Castañas. This morning Elder Zuniga and I went to write our letters to the President at a place that overlooks the Amazon River. It is so green and big, there were some houses floating there and guys in little canoes fishing. Everything here is moto. They don’t have cars they only have motorcycles, there are so many in the city.

The members here are cool, we sat down in Sacrament meeting and the Bishop gets up and says well we will now have our first talk by Elder Ridge. It was cool to get up and talk in Spanish without any problems. Right now we have a family of gold that we are teaching. They live in a wood house and don’t have electricity so we teach them in candle light, it’s cool, they are awesome. There is this boy in the ward that is 9 that was waiting for his uncle to get back from his mission so that he could baptize him but now he wants me to baptize him so he is getting baptized on the 7th of March. The people here are awesome, they welcomed me with open arms, literally, I had a couple little kids run up and hug me first time seeing them on Sunday. We get accepted like crazy too, when we knock on doors almost everyone says come in and teach me but thing is getting them to progress.

No comments: