Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Weeks 8-17 and 8-23

August 23rd


Sorry I didn’t write you guys Monday, we are going to the temple today(Wednesday) so today is our pday, thank you mom for not calling the offices worried, right now its six o clock, I’m kind of tired, we had to get up at 5 this morning, to answer your questions. The weather here kind of stinks, it’s like in the 60s or 50s but it’s a humid cold so it goes to your bones and it seems colder than what it is and in the afternoon it heats up so I start of the day freezing, in the afternoon sweating a little and at night freezing, but I’m keeping warm enough. I do miss the jungle heat but I love the hot showers.

Training my companion is going good, I really do like. My pensionista is awesome, she cooks so good and their are way active and strong in the church. Her food is way clean.

Last Tuesday I gave a training in our zone meeting and Elder Rich walks he is now an assistant to the president, and sits down for my training. It went pretty good Elder Rich liked it. It was like half an hour long. The offices are not close but they are not far, the zone I’m in is the neighboring zone to Tahauntisuyo where I was before, and yes we walk a lot, and there is a couple big hills in our area that are straight up, my legs are getting a good workout and I think they are getting bigger with all the climbing on stairs. My area is more calm, there are a couple of groups (gangs) but they leave us alone for the most part. In my area I have Plaza Vea and Metro which is awesome. I was blessed with something like that. Plaza Vea is like their Wal-Mart, it’s pretty nice but also there is a KFC in my area. A KFC!!!! It’s so funny some people think that it (KFC) was invented here, that and they think that coca cola was invented here too. I just lightly laugh and ignore it. Well, everything seems good there and busy, Uncle Scott wrote me and I enjoyed his letter. I’m really happy for him and Karen and that everything is going good. I can’t believe that Sara is a senior, that’s crazy. We also had the two baptisms last week. Joseph Perez and Katy it was way good. I baptized Joseph, the water was so cold, I was shivering so bad! I couldn’t pronounce his name, I had to say his name again, everyone was laughing, saying we have never seen a gringo shiver so much, it was funny. Then the bishop baptized Katy, before we started the service I’m walking in the hallway and I seem him the door of his office. He said “Elder Ridge come here”. I’m like what and he said come in my office for a second. Me and my companion go in, and I said “yes bishop can we help” He looks at me and says “how do I do it” I’m like how do you do what and he says “ how do I baptize her” I’m thinking oh gosh so I had like a 5 minute lesson with him on how to baptize someone. The Bishop didn’t know, I thought it was funny, and when he got in the water with her he had to do it three times. He did the exact same thing that my companion did. He tried to do it all soft, the third time I learn over the balcony I’m said “Bishop! throw her down harder! He’s says oh, ok and did it right. That’s all that really happened this week. this weekend we won’t have a baptism but we might the 5th of September . We have some potential investigators so we will see. We only have the rest of this week and next week and then there is changes! The time is going by fast almost too fast. Yesterday I hit 14 months, now I’m going for 15, that is crazy! thank you for sending that package for me and my comp, I can’t wait to get it, thank you so much for the support, I love you guys so much,



August 17th

We only had one baptism last Saturday, but this Saturday we have two, Katy and Joseph. They wanted it for the 22nd of August instead of the 15th but they are all good and excited. We baptized Jian Franko on Saturday and it was a good baptism, well planned with the help of the members. Now Jian Franko’s mom wants to get baptized. She is living with her boyfriend, so she can’t just yet. We had 11 investigators in church so we have some good potential in these coming weeks. Jian Franko wanted my companion to baptize him. I was so happy because I wanted him to do it, so he could have his first baptism in his mission. It was funny because I had to teach him how to do it, so we were practicing in the room before because he is a small guy, and way skinny and I think he comes up to my name badge on my chest. We were practicing how to baptize, and he dropped me on the floor, it was funny, I was laughing so hard. We get to the baptism and he gets in the water and I have my head over the balcony making sure he is going to do it right. He is asking me questions like how long do I hold him under the water? How fast do I do it? I was like just do it normal, put him under and pull him out, don’t do it really fast but don’t do it slow either. He says the prayer and says it right, puts the hand over the nose and starts to put him down, he put him down so slow with no strength that he held him under for like 3 seconds and his arm was sticking out. I’m thinking oh great, he is going to be so embarrassed, he pulls him out and I lean over and say “hey you have to do it again because his arm came out but this time throw him down harder”, and then he did it again right but it was kind of funny. I was teasing him after, but it was a good experience. I’m so blessed with the companion I have, we get a long great, we are always laughing and making fun of each other. I’m really trying to teach him to have fun with the mission and to enjoy it but to work too .This change is flying by way quick, next week I will have 14 months crazy! My church here starts at 9: 30 so we are in church at the same time.

No comments: